Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vertigo

In dance, the one thing I struggle with the most is balance. 

In relationships, it's one of the things I struggle with the most as well. 

I'm a people-pleaser to the core. 
All I want is to like everyone and for everyone to like me. 
It's a good thing that I like everyone, but not a good thing when my need for everyone to like me is the reason I like everyone. That's not the case all the time, I genuinely love people. And I generally look for the good in people naturally. Unless I have someone else's opinion as my predisposition. Which is another thing about me: my opinion is so easily altered, but that's beside the point. 
I can't handle when someone is mad or unhappy with me, so I try as hard as I can to prevent that from happening. 

But, I always seem to underestimate the number of people I want to keep happy. 
I'm really bad at prioritizing. I'm really bad at balancing my relationships. When I'm focusing on someone, they get all my attention, and I forget my other priorities. 
But I don't know how to fix this. 

Prioritize and balance, of course. But those words are so foreign to me. I see the details, not the bigger picture. Priority and balance both require seeing the bigger picture. 

I envy people that have the ability to focus on the bigger picture and make decisions accordingly. 
Don't get me wrong, there are benefits to being detail-oriented for sure. But, as my good friend the wannabe philosopher always says, "it's all about the balance". 


When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment