Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

What's the matter, afraid of the dark?

Monophobia 
The fear of being alone. 

Atychiphobia
Fear of failure.
Decidophobia 
Fear of making decisions.

I am an individual and I was created that way. I was never meant to be sufficient on another human being. God created me with a brain and a heart in my own separate body for a reason: to use them. They cannot be manipulated by someone else, they cannot be changed or silenced or cut out without going into multi-system organ failure (I learned that from Grey's Anatomy). 
I can't be afraid of being my own person. I can't be afraid of making mistakes. I can't be afraid of taking responsibility for those mistakes. I can't be afraid of accepting consequences, good or bad. I can't be afraid of failure and discomfort because that's how I learn. I am an individual, created to make my own decisions and mistakes so I can learn for myself how to pick myself up off the floor, should I fall down, and move on. I was created with an individual brain and heart to find my own true understanding rather than following the leader and living in a monotonous "Simon Says" game. I am the leader. I am the decider. I am my own person, I am a human being who stumbles. I am a human being who succeeds. I am a human being who loves and learns for myself, by myself, and from myself. 

I will be who I am and I will let no one change or cloud who that is.


Nyctophobia
The fear of the dark.
The fear of the dark is a common fear among children and to a varying degree is observed for adults. Fear of the dark is usually not fear of the darkness itself, but fear of possible or imagined dangers concealed by the darkness (Wikipedia). 

I'm not afraid of the dark in the literal sense, but I am, yes, in the figurative sense. I'm afraid of what's hiding in the shadows; I'm afraid that the dark will just get darker; I'm afraid that there will be no light at the end of the tunnel. But how foolish of me.

God is outside of time. My finite brain cannot comprehend the thought of time being nonexistent because time is such a HUGE part of my life, everything I do is dependent on time, so it makes sense that I wouldn't understand. Because God has no aspect of time, He's already in the future. In fact, He's in the past all the while being in the present. He has planned out my life so meticulously in a way that nothing is without purpose, because why would a loving God make something happen for no reason? Why would He put me through something that he knows won't benefit the future that He's already in. My life is a novel and every word, sentence, and page is already written. 

I'm walking blindly through a dark, shadowy valley. I'm running in every direction in search for a way out so that the sun may warm my skin again. Stop. Be still. Don't be afraid. 

I will not be afraid as I walk through the darkness, because I know that no matter how dark, I will see the light. 

If my God is always a step ahead, then what is there to be afraid of? 







So once again.. I let go. I let go of the fear and the phobias.
I won't be afraid because I have someone constantly holding my hand. I won't be afraid because when I walk into that light, it will be so much lighter than I could have ever imagined. 


Psalm 56:3
When I am afraid, I will trust in You.




1 comment:

  1. “Trust yourself. Think for yourself. Act for yourself. Speak for yourself. Be yourself. Imitation is suicide.” - Marva Collins. I was having some of the same troubles as you, but after i started believing in this quote, things have started to get so much better :) it will do the same for you

    ReplyDelete