Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

I read her like an open book

"You cannot open a book without learning something." -Confucius


People are like books. Or, books are like people.


We all have covers. Some hard, some soft, some transparent, and some non-existent. 


Some easy to open, some hard to open.


Some full of pictures and easy-to-read pages, and some full of complex vocabulary, and not-so-easy-to-read pages.


Some are short, and to the point. Some take longer to read.


Some are used, torn, and neglected. Some are new, innocent, and crisp. 


And we all have a story.




I could go on and on with this analogy, but you get the point.

The point is: people are fascinating! And so amazingly deep and complex! 


Think about it, you will never know someone completely inside and out. They will always surprise you. There will always be something to learn because they are constantly learning. Every. Single. One of us has our own unique story, that molds and shapes us into who we are. The content of our inner pages determines the cover. Some people are incredibly hard to get to know, it takes a while for them to open up and be comfortable. I, being one of those people. Some people are incredibly easy to get to know, with what seems to be a transparent cover or no cover at all. 


A book, from the story being thought up, to the many drafts it goes through, to the publisher, to the printing press, then to the shelves, to the hands of the reader, has a journey. 


We have a journey. A story with conflict, resolution, climax, characters, dialogue. A front cover, a back cover. Highlighted lines. Torn pages. Readers. 


Me, I'm a soft cover book that's hard to open. I'm packaged in that plastic stuff that's secretly made of bullet-proof vest. But once I'm open, I'm open. Definitely an easy read. And my story is far from being finished.




People are beautiful, complex novels. I wish I put more effort and time into reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment